Many patients believe that dental practices are only looking to help them through any issues concerning their teeth or gums. At Vibrant Dental, our goal is to make sure every patient can receive personalized treatment that allows them to live healthy and happy lifestyles.
To reach that goal, our practice offers treatment to help relieve any dental discomfort or pain, no matter where it originates from. This includes any jaw, neck, or migraines caused by TMD (temporomandibular disorder).
TMJ vs. TMD: What Do They Mean?The TMJ—or temporomandibular joint—is the joint connecting your lower jaw (medically referred to as the mandible) to your skull. With these joints on either side of your head, their health is essential for performing daily tasks such smiling, chewing, and even speaking.
A TMJ disorder—or TMD—is a condition that may be preventing these important joints from functioning properly. TMJ disorders are still being widely studied as they can have a variety of different causes and symptoms.
The most common causes include:
- Pre-existing joint disorders—such as arthritis.
- Excessive teeth grinding, or bruxism.
- Trauma—especially any affecting the jaw.
- Jaw misalignment.
how we relieved her TMJ pain
TMJ DISORDER SYMPTOMS
TMJ disorder has a wide range of symptoms that can cause undue stress, pain, headaches, and even create more oral health complications in the future. For patients who are suffering from any of the following, scheduling a consultation is highly recommended:
- Pain that runs along the neck and jaw.
- Frequent migraines or tension headaches.
- Stiffness in the jaw.
- Limited motion of the mandible.
- A locking of the jaw.
- Clicking or popping sounds from your jaw joint.
HOW WE TREAT TMJ DISORDERS
At Vibrant Dental, we don’t just treat the immediate symptoms of TMJ Disorder, but we approach it with the overall health of the patient in mind. Because there is a real connection between oral health and a person’s complete health, we treat the root causes of TMD and other symptoms it could be causing throughout the body. We use Gnathic Neuromuscular Dentistry (GNM), which is an advanced level of training to create an orthotic (e.g. a bite splint) to keep the joint in the proper position. This can actually get rid of your TMD—not just alleviate the immediate symptoms!
Our Green Valley and Anthem Village offices in Henderson are dedicated to creating personalized treatment plans for each and every patient. We seek to correct a patient’s occlusion (bite) and to cure the patient of the disorder completely through specialized consultations and treatments:
1. Occlusion Evaluation: Using a Myomonitor (an electrical muscle stimulator) to relax the muscles, we can give you a consultation to thoroughly examine your jaw alignment and any other contributing factors of TMD. Then we’ll be able to determine what specific adjustments need to be made.
2. Botox®: With proper application, a Botox® injection can relax muscles near the TMJ that are normally over-stressed to relieve muscle tension and reduce any pain caused by TMD.
3. Orthotics: We use GNM therapy to create a custom-made orthotic appliance (mouthguard) for you to wear while you sleep. This orthotic will protect you against further joint stress and to actually help move the joint to restore the jaw to its proper position.
Call Today for TMJ/TMD Relief
A lifestyle that doesn’t involve painful chewing, frequent tension headaches, or joint pain is possible thanks to the experienced professionals at Vibrant Dental. Schedule your consultation today and discover the dental solutions that will let you live the lifestyle you deserve, free from TMJ pain.
Whatever the cause, we’ll do our best to help you reduce TMJ tension, relieve pain, and even cure your TMD in many cases! Come in for a consult to determine the best treatment for you.